12.14.2010

Mrs. Bennett's Grandmother's Sugar Cookies. Or, om nom nom nom COOKIES!!

I've had a couple of requests for the 100+ year-old sugar cookie recipe.  This far surpasses ANY I've ever eaten, and sugar cookies are my absolute favorite.  I like simplicity, what can I say?!?

1 1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup sour milk ( use 1 T vinegar to make sweet milk sour)
1/2 cup shortening (or 1 stick butter)-- I've only ever used shortening.  I don't know how these will turn out with butter!
1/2 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 t vanilla
Add enough flour to make a rollable dough

Roll and cut out-- bake about 8 minutes at 375*

These can be flavored-- or have food coloring added.

1 comment:

  1. So these don't need to be refrigerated prior to cutting? It's that down-time that always discourages us from making sugar cookies. I think this is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete